/vidya/ :: Vidya Gaemz I want to nominate this board to my reformed orthodox rabbi, Bill Clinton
Reply to the thread 0x000020 Login | Register    
Captcha code
Board rules

It is imperative that you read the site rules before posting.

0x000001Dominion of Darkness - RPG/strategy simulator of the Dark lord
CZACHA.webp

"Dominion of Darkness” is a strategy text game in which the player takes on the role of a Sauron-style Lord of Darkness with the goal of conquering the world. He will carry out his plans by making various decisions. He will build his army and send it into battles, weave intrigues and deceptions, create secret spy networks and sectarian cults, recruit agents and commanders, corrupt representatives of Free Peoples and sow discord among them, collect magical artifacts and perform sinister plots. Note -- one game takes about 1 hour, but the premise is that the game can be approached several times, each time making different decisions, getting different results and discovering something new.

Game is avalaible for free, online: https://adeptus7.itch.io/dominion

I am constantly improving the game, adding new content and mechanics, so Your feedback would matter.

If you are hesitant to play the game, I invite you to watch/listen to the reviews:

Indie Sampler (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6f4UCEgWU

[BOKC] BlancoKix (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgNpSKToOSg

OK, so what's about this "politically incorrect"? Is it just a bait? Nope.

Although the game is not parody, there is some humour, usually black one and often, well, politically incorrect. There are some allusions to our modern world - ancient crazy sorcerer-king who demanded his subjects to pretend he is woman, very peaceful orc immigrants, riots in the name of bandits lives which matter, crazy druids who want to ban fires because they are warming the planet etc. There are are also sometimes some controversial themes like slavery, genocide, BDSM etc.

chat_bubble_outline Posts: 7 arrow_upward Limit: 128
0x000002
>>0x000001

I'll try it out before making any judgements about it, but the politically incorrect disclaimer makes me somewhat skeptical about how well the humor is going to land. But I will try it without judgement. I'm hoping that there won't be a lot of ideological injections into the story since I'm relatively disinterested in both sides of modern day political discourse. I appreciate the warning though for people who will want to avoid it for this reason.

0x000003
>>0x000002

Thanks for Your interest! As I wrote, game is not supposed to be parody. It is straight-forward dark fantasy most of the time. These elements are more kind of easter eggs/background.

0x000004
>>0x000003
> Thanks for Your interest! As I wrote, game is not supposed to be parody. It is straight-forward dark fantasy most of the time. These elements are more kind of easter eggs/background.

I see. So far it seems classy enough. I'm playing as Destroyer of Life.

Just out of curiosity, how long does a playthru take?

Also if you want my suggestions so far, I would say since the writing is the primary substance of the game, you're going to want to go over it multiple times and make sure every sentence is perfect. The moment someone loses interest in reading is the moment they stop playing, so you want every sentence to shine. I would say it's not bad writing at all -- just that continuous improvement of the early game's passages will probably bring more players than adding additional content if that makes sense.

EDIT: I also noticed that you edited your post above to add more right leaning political easter eggs or whatever. To be honest, these are kind of cringey and eye rolling to me and I know that when I encounter them they're not going to be amusing to me. It's possible that the majority of your audience are people that appreciate these things and so you're pandering to them, or maybe its an outlet to express feelings. In either case, it's something that will push a lot of people away from your core idea which is a good idea.

For me... I'm tired of everything being extremely left leaning or extremely right leaning. It's really exhausting and I try super hard to avoid both ends of it.

0x000005
>>0x000004

Thanks for a feedback!

As I wrote, one gameplay lasts about 1 hour.

Yes, you have absolute right that I should make writing as good as possible. But I am not an English native speaker and sometimes some nuances are lost to me. If you have some suggestions which phrases should I change, please mention it.

Speaking about politics - hmm, no I don't think I edited original post to make it more "right leaning". That last paragraph was there from the start :)

0x000006
>>0x000005
> That last paragraph was there from the start :)

I stand corrected, sorry for the accusation! I just missed some of it. I suppose I should add a feature that makes it more obvious when a post is edited.

In any case, thanks for sharing your project. If you add more features feel free to talk about them here.

0x000007
>>0x000006

That's OK, it was not severe accusation and I corrected it only for precision's sake ;)

> In any case, thanks for sharing your project.

Thanks for discussing it!